Tuesday 26 February 2013

Banana Bread (Gluten Free)

I'll let you in on a secret... I'm working on project; PROJECT UGLY DOLL (it's not that ugly, in fact, it's rather cute).
The other day my sister and I went shopping for materials to make clothes with. You see, my sister is studying a unit called "Creative Garment Making" this term, and she has begun a project to create a sleeveless checkered shirt with pockets too. So while she was scouting around for templates and suitable materials, I was browsing through the clearance section. That's when I came across a 5 dollar scrap material pack and the idea to embark on this project sparked. 
I'll let you in on another secret... there's no butter, no sugar and no flour in this banana bread recipe. It's gluten free! To be honest, I'm still learning about the different sorts of baked products that can be made.
Gluten free basically means that there is no gluten duh. Gluten is the protein complex found in wheat, barley, rye and triticale. Surprisingly, corn and rice are considered gluten free though both contain gluten, however the gluten in these items do not cause the allergies associated with gluten found in other items. Thank you Wikipedia!
 Back to baking. This recipe is a cinch. The batter can be made by placing everything in a mixer (or blender!) and simply mixed until everything is combined. Pour the batter into a baking tin and it's ready to bake, of course don't forget to top off your banana bread with your favourite goodies.
It looks the same and smells the same as a banana bread loaf. But your body will notice the difference because this recipe is loaded with: banana for potassium, an essential mineral for maintaining normal blood pressure and heart function; almonds, packed full of protein and heart healthy fats and can help lower cholesterol as well as keep blood sugars stable; cold-pressed (or extra virgin) olive oil, a delicious source of the good fats that help support good health and well-being.
Have I convinced you that this banana recipe rocks? Naturally full of moisture and sweetness because of the bananas. It's just good to know it's a health-ier sort of banana bread, a nice change from the highly refined goods.
Did you know? I have never learned to use a sewing machine before and never learned how to sew using a thread and needle. Okay, I can kind of sew, but really amateurish kind of sewing. I think I've let you in on one secret too many. I'll keep you posted on how this project goes.

Banana Bread (Gluten Free)
Adapted from The Healthy Chef

Makes 1 loaf

Ingredients:
300 grams (about 3 large bananas) mashed ripe bananas
3 large eggs
60 grams (2 tablespoons) honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
60 grams (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda + 1 tablespoon lemon juice (the lemon activates the bicarb... juicy science)
200 grams (2 cups) almond meal
25 grams (1/4 cup) ground flaxseed (linseed) or chia seed

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius. Lightly oil one loaf tin (approx. 10x22cm) and coat with extra almond, or cover with baking paper.
  2. Combine mashed bananas, honey, oil, vanilla, eggs, bicarb and lemon, in a mixer or blender or even by hand if you prefer. Add the almond meal and flaxseed and mix well.
  3. Pour batter into the tin, don't forget your favourite toppings (may I suggest chopped cashews or walnuts or even a sliced banana), and  bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour until when a skewer inserted into the centre comes out dry. [Tip: Cover the top with foil if over-browning.]
  4. Remove from oven and allow to cool before turning out the loaf. Keeps in the fridge well covered up to 1 week.


2 comments:

  1. I've been looking for gluten free recipes because my boss is gluten intolerant! YAY! =D thanks for helping me! i'll try this out soon~

    btw.. ur project is awesome! loved the finished products! SO CUTE!!!!

    p.s. i dont know why but I haven't been getting updates about ur blog.. usually it comes on my feed so i just thought that u hadn't been blogging.. but then realised i've missed out on so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should try baking more gluten free recipes-can be quite a challenge but it expands my baking knowledge. It's so bad how I can't use a sewing machine. Bec said she learnt in school and she was telling me I ought to learn how to use one.

    About the feed/update, maybe I might have changed something in the setting that I shouldn't have but I'll look into it.

    ReplyDelete

 

Yes, I can bake. Copyright © 2012 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template